The newest custom-designed home at Spruce Peak in Stowe Mountain Resort blends rustic mountain appeal with modern architecture. It’s nestled amid emerald-green rolling hills, winding roads and exhilarating ski slopes.
Linda Woodrum, who designed 14 of the 15 HGTV Dream Homes, offers these tips to help you create the home of your dreams:
1. Take inspiration from your surroundings. HGTV chose a color palette pulled from the Stowe countryside to complement the contemporary-style furniture in the home. There are so many great options today, you can find virtually any color or texture you want.
2. When designing a home that will be a great gathering place for all your family and friends, use beautiful upholstery fabrics that are durable. You want to create a home where everyone can relax and feel comfortable without worrying about damaging the furniture.
3. Think about using outdoor fabrics as coverlets on beds in rooms like the sleep dorm in the HGTV Dream Home 2011. They’re easy to maintain, don’t stain and look great wash after wash, even if you sleep eight to a room!
4. If your home has a mudroom, provide lots of storage to help manage the space. Closets and pegs can hold all your outer- wear, while cubbies and drawers are perfect for gloves and scarves. Don’t forget to choose a tough floor that can stand up to shoes and boots.
5. Arrange each room to maximize the visibility of the great outdoors. Accomplish this by arranging the furniture in various ways so you don’t block the views and by utilizing earth-tone colors and selective fabrics.
6. In your kitchen, contemporary glass shelves framed by antique barn boards can make for easy storage and a unique design element.
For more information or to learn how you can enter for a chance to win the HGTV Dream Home, visit the website www.HGTV.com/dreamhome.