(NAPSI)—There are several ways-from eating right to buying jewelry-to combat the No. 1 killer of women in the U.S.: heart disease.
What You Can Do
To protect yourself, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute recommends:
• Eat for heart health. Have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Foods low in saturated fat and cholesterol and high in fiber can help prevent high blood cholesterol. Limiting sodium in your diet can also lower blood pressure.
• Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight can increase your risk for heart disease.
• Exercise regularly. Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower cholesterol and blood pressure. The Surgeon General recommends adults engage in moderate-intensity exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
• Don’t smoke. Cigarette smoking greatly increases your risk for heart disease. If you do smoke, your doctor can suggest ways to help you quit.
• Know your numbers. Talk to your doctor to determine your personal risk factors for heart disease.
What Others Are Doing
Swarovski is the fashion industry’s biggest supporter of women’s heart disease awareness and has contributed more than $2 million through partnerships with the heart health movement.
For the seventh year, the leading designer and producer of glamorous jewelry is a national sponsor of The Heart Truth® Red Dress Collection Fashion Show, which raises awareness that heart disease is the No. 1 killer of American women.
As part of its effort, the company created a special jewelry collection to raise funds for women’s heart health research in partnership with The Heart Truth®. The collection includes a Red Dress pin, Nettle bangle, Nastasia collar, Nelda pendant and Nelda earrings. Swarovski is proud to donate $310,000 to the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health to support women’s heart health education and research.
Any of these pieces would make a great gift for someone you love on Valentine’s Day or at any time of year.
Where To Find It
The collection is available at Swarovski boutiques, authorized retailers and www.swarovski.com.